An Overview of Nintendo Leaks
Throughout 2020, numerous sets of data from Nintendo have been leaked via 4chan.
While the first leaks occurred in April, the Gigaleak nickname commonly refers to the July 24th, 2020 leaks, to describe their large size and amount of content. Leaks that occurred afterwards have been referenced by their archive name, contents, and date of release.
It is largely believed that the total potential amount of data able to be leaked is roughly 2.5 terabytes, all obtained by Zammis Clark during his illegal breach of Nintendo's internal network. Clark released the first few archives himself, but went quiet before being arrested in early 2019. The leaks have been able to continue however, as it appears Clark handed off data to others who have slowly been releasing it online.
List of Leaks
- April 2018
- The iQue Player SDK and its unencrypted ROMs leak.
- May 31, 2018
- Pokemon Spaceworld Gold and Silver ROMs leak.
- February 18, 2019
- Prototype assets for Pokemon Red, Green, and Blue leak.
- March 19, 2020
- Debug builds of Pokemon Blue and Yellow leak.
- April 11, 2020 - ALL.zip
- Lot check spreadsheets for the Nintendo Entertainment System, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo 64DD, Virtual Boy, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DSi, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, and Pokemon Mini.
- April 12, 2020 - osrc.zip
- Pokemon Blue/Yellow localization source code, and Pokemon Gold/Silver debug builds.
- April 25, 2020 - gen2.7z
Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal source code.
- April 28, 2020 - 3DS Pokemon Files.7z, DSiWare Title Keys.7z, WiiWare Title Keys.7z
- Titlekeys for DSiWare and WiiWare titles, along with ten 3DS ROM files: Mew Trading App(E), Mew Trading App(J), Pokemon Anti-Cheat, Don't Touch This Title, CTR-N-AJ7A, CTR-N-AXDA, CTR-N-AJZA, CTR-N-NAGA, NinoTool, and O-Power ROM.
- April 29, 2020
- Three 3DS ROM files: 000400000001A8A00.1040, 000400000001A8A00.2080, 000400000001A8A00.3120
- May 2, 2020 - unsorted.7z
- iQue Player and Nintendo Wii software source code and documentation.
- May 7, 2020 - hw.7z
- 3DS Horizon OS header files.
- May 9, 2020 - 3DS_manu.7z
- Full factory files for New 2DS XL.
- May 19, 2020 - gen3.7z
- Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire and FireRed/LeafGreen source code.
- May 21, 2020 -
- Pokemon XY debug distribution ROM.
- May 23, 2020 - ctr.7z, pokemon_dp_VER20060816.zip, svn_v1.068.zip
- Pokemon Diamond and Pearl source code, Nintendo 3DS source code and documentation, and 3DS Virtual Console source code.
- May 24, 2020 - ctr-etc.7z
- Additional 3DS source code.
- May 29, 2020 -
- Nintendo's titlekey generation script for Wii, Wii U, DSi, and 3DS.
- July 24, 2020 - other.7z, 20100713cvs_backup.7z, netcard.7z
- The infamous Gigaleak. This leak contained full source code for Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, source code and prototypes for many Super Nintendo games, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance Boot ROM source code, source code and ROMs for iQue's cancelled NetCard, and lot check master ROMs for the NES and Famicom. Additionally, an internal sprite editing software was found, allowing for the viewing of the many sprite files within the leak.
- July 26, 2020 - bbgames.7z
- Nicknamed Gigaleak 2. iQue source code for multiple Nintendo 64 games.
- September 2, 2020 - emeralds.7z
- Pokemon Emerald source code, the long lost Wii Startup Disc, and full source code for Wii hardware.
- September 9, 2020 - generic.7z, from_Nintendo.7z, platinum.7z
- Three archives were released, with the contents including lot check master ROMs for Game Boy and Game Boy Color, BIOS files for Super Game Boy, Pokemon Platinum source code, NDS Boot ROM source code, DSi source code, iQue DSiWare ROMs, Wii internal documents, and more.
- September 30, 2020 - paladin.7z
- Demo builds of Pokemon Ranger and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, SDK for the cancelled Iris project (eventually became DS), and lot check master ROMs of Famicom Disk System.
- October 17, 2020 - wiidump.7z, git_program170525momiji.zip, ios-releases.tar.7z
- Wii factory tools and software, very early Wii System Menu, every version of IOS, and full source code for Pokemon Sun and Moon.
- October 21, 2020 - Pokemon Sword/Shield Prototypes
- Four different archives were leaked, each containing a debug build of Pokemon Sword.
- December 21, 2020 - NintendoSDK_fromSSD_IKEDA_20151124.zip, Documents.7z, Secure.7z
- Switch SDK from 2015, documents with early Switch plans and specs, and documents detailing Nintendo's controversial methods of handling hackers.
- December 24, 2020 - t210_t214_brom.7z, eevee.zip
- Three revisions of the Nintendo Switch bootrom, various recovery tools for the Switch, and a prototypes build of Pokemon Let's Go Eevee.
- July 2021 Leaks - iqcvs.tar, teru-sama_mail_2006.7z, DIAG4RVL.7z
- After dying down for the entire first half of 2021, the leaks appeared to pick back up again with the sudden appearance of multiple new archives. These included a new build of Pokemon Let's Go Eevee, Nintendo emails from 2006, a repository for the cancelled iQue GameCube, source code for the Wii Service Disc, and much more.
- More Info: July 2021 Leaks