Pokemon Gen 2 Leaks
This article is a stub / work in progress. You may want to.
Assets and source code of the second generation of Pokémon games (specifically, Pokémon Gold, Pokémon Silver, and Pokémon Crystal ) were leaked April 24, 2020 on 4chan's Pokémon board. This contains localization source code, debug builds, prototype assets, etc.
- Localization source code for the following languages:
- Work in progress localization builds
- Debug builds
- Spaceworld 1999 ROMs
- Teruki Murakawa's (Teru-Sama's) Game Boy emulator
- Various prototype assets before and after the game's rework, including:
- Pokémon designs
- Inexplicably, the original music macro files of the Generation 1 games
Additionally, the Spaceworld 1997 demos of Gold and Silver were leaked prior, initially only to the Pokémon reverse engineering (pret) Discord server on May 26th, 2018, then to 4chan's Pokémon board 5 days later.
Development of Pokémon Gold and Silver started some time after the release of Red and Green. In June of 1997, Game Freak announced that Gold and Silver will release at the end of 1997, later revised to Fall of that year. The game's demo was showcased for the first time at Nintendo Spaceworld 1997, with the release pushed back to the end of March 1998. The same demo would later be showcased in 1998's World Hobby Fair. However, nearing the last announced date, Game Freak announced that Gold and Silver would be postponed, with no known release date. The game would later reappear in Spaceworld 1999.
The earliest backup assets that were found in the 2020 leaks date around May 1998. These assets show more developed versions of maps, Pokémon data, and sketches for the 1997 demo. Since what eventually became of Gold and Silver looked very different from what was demonstrated back in Spaceworld '97 and World Hobby Fair, the presence of these backup files seem to hint towards a reworking of the game plan or a development reset.
Where's the Files?
The text files and source files are encoded in Shift-JIS, so you might want to use an editor that supports it, such as Notepad++.
Pokémon Gold and Silver
- mons2 - Source code for English and Japanese versions.
- GS_Korean - Source code for the Korean version.
- Pokemon/wk/setup/mons2_org/SOURCE/BACKUP - Development backup files, see #Rework?
- euro2 - Source code for German, French, Italian and Spanish versions.
- xtal - Source code for English (US, EU) and Japanese versions.
- xtal_revise - v1.1 of Crystal?.
- xtal_AUSTRALIA - Source code for the Australian version.
- xtal_euro - Source code for German, French, Italian and Spanish versions.